Skip to content Skip to footer

What to do if your study permit does not arrive but your classes start?

What to do if your study permit does not arrive but your classes start?

Waiting for your study permit can be very stressful, especially if your study program is starting soon. If your study permit does not arrive on time, do not panic. It is essential to wait until you get your study permit approval letter from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). If your studies began, but you have not yet received your study permit, our abroad study consultants prepared some steps you can take to alleviate your stress.

Contact the Academic Advisor of your Faculty

If you are worried about not being able to make it in time for the fall term, talk to your academic advisor, and let them know that you have not received your study permit yet. They will be able to tell you the last day you are allowed to arrive and attend classes, as well as any online options that might be available. Depending on your program, they can also speak to you about beginning studies in January or defer your start date until next September.

Remember: the last day to add or drop a course without it showing up on your transcript as a withdrawal and be eligible for a tuition refund is late September. But always check with your academic advisor first. They can tell you more about your specific program and how to stay on track.

Withdraw from all the courses if you defer your admission

If you decide to defer your admission and start in the next term, you need to withdraw from all the courses you have registered for. It is important to do this by the withdrawal deadline to get a full refund of your tuition deposit and avoid getting a failing grade on your transcript. Deferred enrolment for immigration purposes means you do not need and are not eligible for an authorized leave from your studies. If you defer your admission for one year, make sure you withdraw from all the courses you enrolled in for both fall and winter terms.

Plan your accommodation accordingly

If you were planning to live in the residence, inform residence staff that you will not be attending and cancel your contract. You will only get a refund of your residence deposit if you cancel your contract before the specified date in the academic year calendar. The refund amount is based on when you notify the university, so make sure to check the academic year calendar for more information. If you rented an apartment or house off-campus, make sure to cancel your lease agreement as soon as possible.

IRCC’s application processing times for study permit applications depend on the country where you submit your application. Unfortunately, the study permit application process cannot be rushed. If your study permit application is taking longer than expected, the best thing to do is to check the processing times on IRCC’s website and wait patiently. In the meantime, you can start preparing for your studies by researching your program, campus life, and the city you’ll be living in. If you have questions about study permit processing times, contact one of our abroad study consultantsfor more information.

Leave a comment

What to do if your study permit does not arrive but your classes start? - Glinks International